Ask Our Surgeons

Ask Our SurgeonsNorthern Virginia Plastic Surgeons -Dr. George Weston, Dr. Robert Sigal, Dr. Byron Poindexter and Dr. Christopher Knotts believe that collaboration is beneficial to both doctor and patient. Our cosmetic surgeons prefer to embrace the benefits of team decisions. This collaboration among Northern Virginia plastic surgeons gives patients access to the combined talents of the leading plastic surgeons in the United States and is just one more example of how dedicated our surgeons are to maximizing the safety and quality of services to their patients.

We are available to answer any questions you may have in regards to cosmetic plastic surgery.

Ask Our Surgeons

Any information in the publications, messages, postings or articles on this website should not be considered a substitute for consultation with one of our plastic surgeons to address individual medical needs. Your particular facts and circumstances will determine the plastic surgery treatment which is most appropriate for you.

Though we ask for your full name on the form when you comment, we will NEVER publish your last name.

Comments (213)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. LaTrelya says:

I have heard that you all offer a “mommy make over” package. Is this true and what are the details if so?

Dr. Byron Poindexter Reply:

LaTrelya,

The Mommy Makeovers are individualized to your needs. Since most women have stretching of tummy and breast during pregnancy, most of the packages deal with surgery in those areas. The tummy is usually a tummy tuck, liposuction or both and the breast may be augmentation, lift, or for some mothers a reduction.

Feel free to schedule a consultation to find out about what we have for your individual desires.

Dr. P

2. Sean says:

I am a 35 year old male – I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis 6 years ago (it is now completely dormant and I am completely healthy otherwise). I have been thinking about getting a chin implant – I am cursed with the Irish lack of a chin and have grown a beard to cope.

Does having Sarcoidosis preclude me from being able to get any form of cosmetic augmentation?

Dr. Robert Sigal Reply:

Short answer – If you’re 6 months dormant, you should be fine.

3. John says:

Hello Dr,

I am interested in laser resurfacing for my acne scars but I’d like to ask what are the risks of sun exposure during healing after laser and why there is a lot of warning about it? Can unprotected sun exposure during healing after laser cause cancer as the skin is vulnerable to sun at that time (or just hyperpigmentation)? I know more sun over years is harmful, but here I am asking about healing period only.

Also during my day there is not much direct sun, but the indirect sun light (Morning Light) when indoors (most of time), in car, in shade (very little). Should I apply sun block in these conditions and what will happen if I do not use sunblock regularly in these conditions? Thanks.

Dr. Byron Poindexter Reply:

John,

You have many great questions and the best thing to do is meet with physician you are considering for the resurfacing and get answers specific to yourself from them.

A couple of general points is that most patients that have had significant laser resurfacing have skin that is more sensitive to burning with sun exposure after the laser. Think sunburn on top of laser burn. Also, a sunscreen before going out any time of day is probably a good routine to get in.

4. C.S. says:

My friend has a weak/receded chin (congenital), and he is pretty self-conscious. I understand you offer chin augmentation surgery. Please let me know the approximate cost of the procedure. Thank you!

Dr. George Weston Reply:

Dear C.S.,

Thank you for your question! The cost of chin implant surgery at The Austin-Weston Center is $5100. We encourage your friend to come in to meet with us for a free, personal, private consultation, during which our board-certified plastic surgeons and understanding staff can answer all of his questions in a reassuring and safe environment. The number to call is 703-893-6168.

5. Camelia says:

I would like to know more about the liposuction for cankles. I have read that not all people are a candidate and that you have to enough fatty tissue for it to work. Is this true? Also, what kind of recovery period can one expect and what is the price range?

thank you.

Dr. Robert Sigal Reply:

Dear Camelia,

I have yet to meet cankles that are not surgical candidates. The issue tends to be one of recovery, which can be a bit of a problem. It’s best for you to come in for a consultation so that we can talk about it.

The price would be approximately $5600, and we provide you with an exact detailed quote at the time of consultation. Please call us at 703-893-6168 to schedule your free private consultation.

6. Pat says:

Dear Sir,

Do you offer Facial Feminization as part of your practice.

If so could you provide me a ball park cost and a ball park recovery period. Thank You.

Pat

Dr. Byron Poindexter Reply:

Pat,

We absolutely do. Cost would be based upon the actual procedures desired or needed. Someone with a more delicate features already may not need as much, and more youthful faces may only need sculpting procedures and not lifting or tightening, and therefore, cost less and have less recovery.

Rejuvenating and feminizing a face, including brow repositioning, hairline adjustment, rhinoplasty, fat grafting, eyes and cheek/neck lifting, etc., would be estimated to be in the upper teen to mid 20K range. Lesser needs and desires would be obviously lesser in cost.

Recovery depends on individual healing and individual desired level of privacy in others knowing what they may have had done. Generally, all stitches are out by 10 days after surgery, but bruises and other signs of surgery may be present for still a few weeks after that.

Coming in for a formal consultation and imaging is a great way to start the process.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Byron D. Poindexter, MD

7. Erin says:

Based on what I have read, VASER lipo provides a fast recovery, less down time and less risk of “lumpy” areas, is this true? I had regular lipo on some problem areas 3 years ago and the procedure left a dent in one thigh and lumps on both – I would like this corrected along with some touch ups on other areas but I’m pretty apprehensive.

I have a 100 mile bike race beginning of May and I’m getting married June 2 – is it realistic to have a VASER procedure done prior to these two events? I would LOVE to have some areas corrected prior to my wedding -areas that I have not been successful at getting rid of through diet/exercise so far. I do realize that I’m cutting it close on time, but figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Thank you.

Dr. Robert Sigal Reply:

Dear Erin: Thank you for your question! The short answer is that it may be possible to have the procedure done in time for your events, but I would need to see you or your photos to be sure.

If you are geographically convenient to our Center in Northern Virginia, please call 703-893-6168 to make your appointment for your complimentary consultation with me. Or you may email pictures of your areas of concern to me directly at sigal@austin-weston.com and I will reply.